I find it truly amazing how many resources are available to our children thanks to the world wide web.
As an unschooling parent, I see my job as getting to know my children and their interests, helping them to find the resources that will most benefit them and help them gain in knowledge of the world around them.
I’ve divided this list of websites into main subjects so that it’s easier to find and strew games that will appeal to your child’s main interests.
That being said, we understand that life learning overlaps subjects in so many ways. One of the fundamental truths that we accept as unschoolers is that life itself is not divided into subjects.
While playing an animal game online, your child is likely learning about mathematics and phonics at the same time. Keep that in mind and enjoy exploring these free online games with your child!
1. Academic Skill Builders – online educational video games that offer a powerful approach to learning basic math, language arts, vocabulary, and thinking skills.
2. Fun Brain – free educational games, online books, and comics.
3. Math Blaster – Math Blaster turns learning math into an adventure!
4. Cool Math Games – A popular destination for math education (and fun).
5. Math Playground – Play with math and give your brain a workout.
6. Math Game Time – your destination for the best math games and homework help online.
7. Manga High – Short versions of free math games are available without an account. Your kids can play full length versions for free when you create a school account and issue them with logins.
8. Toy Theater – Fun and simple math games.
9. Math is Fun – Enjoy learning math!
10. Physics Games – Can you beat these games centered around the laws of physics?
11. Poptropica – a virtual world in which kids explore and play in complete safety. Membership for kids is always free.
12. Scholastic Kids – Tons of arcade, puzzle, and word games.
13. Veggie Tales – Games based on these fun bible learning characters!
14. Roblox – Players use core building components to build and share elaborate online worlds that anyone can explore and play,
15. Minecraft – Use strategy to find resources and build. Make a house before sunset, because monsters come out at night! Play the demo version for free.
16. Adventure Quest - an action-packed, fully animated RPG world! No download required.
17. Wizard 101 – Wizard games set in a magical Wizard school. Players of all ages set off on fun quests to save Wizard City from evil forces, and collect magic cards to duel their enemies in the game worlds.
18. Club Penguin – An ever-changing world where the possibilities to create, socialize, and play are seemingly endless.
19. Cookie – Child experts and educators have designed interactive online games for kids.
20. Jumpstart - Make avatar and play in a virtual world.
21. Literacy Center – The Literacy Center Education Network is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization with a mission to deliver free, professionally designed, education material to preschool-age children.
22. Story Place – The ultimate children’s digital library.
23. Starfall – A free public service to teach children to read with phonics.
24. Windows to Universe – Earth Science/Solar System games and information.
25. NASA Kids – Games, videos, and fun facts from the NASA kids club.
26. Magic School Bus – Go on some wild adventures with science teacher Ms. Frizzle on the Magic School Bus!
Animals & Nature
27. Animal Jam - Make a creature and play games/chat in a virtual world.
28. Horseland – At Horseland you can own, breed and show your very own horses and dogs.
29. Howrse – Breed horses or ponies, and discover the responsibilities of managing an equestrian center!
30. National Geographic Kids – Games and more from the popular magazine.
31. Sense Lang – Typing practice for learners of all ages.
32. Free Typing Game – A complete interactive typing tutor to learn to type.
33. Sesame Street – Games featuring the popular sesame street characters.
34. Fun School – Fun and educational preschool games for kids.
35. AOL Kids Preschool Games – Cool games for kids from AOL.
36. My Play Yard – Best free games from across the web.
37. Fisher Price – Spend quality time with your child playing these online games and activities.
38. Nick Jr. – Games featuring your favorite Nick Jr. characters.
39. Disney Preschool – Games featuring your favorite Disney characters.
40. Knee Bouncers – No mouse skills required for these baby games, just tap the keyboard and the fun begins!
41. Boowa and Kwala – songs, games, stories… Educational games and activities for preschool, kindergarten and primary school kids, or Boowa & Kwala fans of any age!
More Games (Multiple Subjects)
42. Maple Story – One enormous place full of adventure and excitement.
43. Internet 4 Classrooms – Games divided by grade level.
44. Poisson Rouge – A site full of games for children of all ages and learning abilities, whether neuro-typical, autistic, gifted, or anything in between.
45. Sheppard Software – Hundreds of free, online, educational games for kids.
46. Zui – Your source for free online games for kids, best YouTube videos for kids all in one place, rated and selected by you!
47. PBS Kids – Games featuring your favorite PBS Kids characters.
48. Dositey – High quality, easily accessible and affordable online educational content for schools and families.
49. LeapFrog – Play LeapFrog’s most popular learning games.
50. Nickelodean – Games featuring your favorite Nickelodean characters.