Are you always looking for good book recommendations? Do you like to see what other unschoolers (and their parents) are reading?
Now you can have a look at “What We’re Reading” – a monthly blog hop all about sharing the great books, blogs, and blurbs that unschoolers are enjoying!
Here are the rules (very simple):
- Write a post on your blog about what books, articles, magazines, and blogs you and your children have been enjoying lately.
- Copy the image below and put it into your post.
- Come back here and link up in the form at the bottom of the post.
- Check back often to see what others are reading!
What We’re Reading: The Bussingers
It’s been a while since I updated on our reading adventures! We have discovered that the library on our military post is right across from where Daddy works and convenient to us when we walk to get basic supplies. They also don’t give out late fines, which is a blessing and a curse.
Naturally this has led to a lot of reading joy. Everyone has experienced a surge in their book interests. Well, that and the discovery of an amazing used bookstore right near our house.
What the girls are reading
Raven is working on three series at the same time right now:
- Ranger’s Apprentice (she is on book 2 – The Burning Bridge)
- Wereworld (Shadow of the Hawk)
- The Last Dragon Chronicles (Dark Fire)
Denna has been working her way through the different Faries collections from Rainbow Magic. The other day in the bookstore we discovered a series called Andrew Lost. They seem to be similar to Magic School Bus except they are short chapter books. She bought In The Bathroom that went nicely with her love for all things DNA and micro-organisms right now.
The girls have both enjoyed these together:
- Marvelous Mattie (about a woman inventor during the late 1800’s)
- Who Says Women Can’t Be Doctors (Elizabeth Blackwell)
- The Bravest Woman in America (Ida Lewis – lighthouse keeper)
- Tiger Hunt – an ebook we got about an adventure in Bali
As you can tell by the titles of some of the books, we are still on a Civil War kick. Reading about different important women that lived during the era has been fascinating, and has brought up some great discussions about voting, slavery, the role of women in society, etc.
What we’re reading to Gus
Gaius has discovered that he loves it when we read him a bedtime book. He is finally at that age where he can interact with the story and stay still long enough to enjoy them.
- Mr. Putter and Tabby – for a boy who loves robots and ninjas, he has a soft spot for this old guy and his old cat.
- Commander Toad in Space – I read this to him the other day and plan to read it to the girls for some great discussion!
- Dr. Seuss – our boy has discovered the wonder that is a Seuss book. His favorite so far is Cat in the Hat.
What the adults are reading
- Dragon Fate – Jay is on the final book in The Age of Fire, a curious fantasy set by E.E. Knight that is written from the perspective of the dragons instead of humans.
- Siddhartha – because I’m a philosophy nerd. And because I’ve never read Hesse and this looked like an easy intro to his work.
- Everything Bad Is Good For You – I read a few chapters out of this and then I end up reading it out loud to Jay while he plays PS3. Amazing book about media, popular culture, and how it might be making us smarter.
What I’m reading online
Real quick I just want to give a shout out for some awesome articles I’ve read lately:
- Joan shares how she deals with critics of the radical unschooling lifestyle
- Ten rock solid reasons why public shaming is not respectful parenting
- Shamus gets mad XP for Violent Video Games are Awesome
- Sammy being upfront as usual with 20 things you’ll never hear at your funeral
Now it’s your turn! Share what your family has been reading!
[inlinkz_linkup id=282288 mode=1 pageSize=60]